6 Star Energy Rating Report (New Builds)

All new builds; houses, units, townhouses and dependent persons units, must have a minimum 6 star energy rating done prior to obtaining a building permit. Here at Star House Ratings we will work with you and provide options to find the most suitable and cost effective outcome in achieving your rating. Although a minimum 6 star rating is required, we can help you achieve a higher rating. The higher your star rating, the less artificial heating and cooling required.

House Extensions and Renovations

There are 2 options for doing an energy rating for a house extension and renovation. The first option is the Deemed to Satisfy method which includes a glazing calculator report. Both the existing and proposed windows and glazed doors must comply with the NCC requirements. If compliance is unachievable with your glazing as is, we will then try the second option before suggesting any changes to your glazing. The second option for the energy rating is the Two House Energy Rating method as per Practice Note 55. In this case we rate the existing house and then based on a volume formula we are given a star rating which the proposed house (including the existing and new sections combined) must achieve. In this case, if we are still unable to achieve the star rating generated for the new works, we may then need to make some amendments to the existing and/or proposed section of the house to achieve compliance.

Some changes may include but are not limited to:

– upgrade in insulation

– amendment of glazing type and/or size for existing and/or proposed sections.

Non Habitable Outbuildings (garages, studios, workshops etc)

All non habitable outbuildings such as standalone garages, studios, workshops, etc. require a Deemed to Satisfy energy rating report complying with Part 3.12 of the NCC.